Re: Fix needed for communication with gpg-agent

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Fix needed for communication with gpg-agent
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 14:37:33 -0500

Werner Koch <address@hidden> writes:

> On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 17:23, address@hidden said:
>
>> 2. Documenting the problem in the PGG manual, and recommending using
>>    PGG and gpg-agent in X (for Emacs 22 anyway).
>
> This and for non-X one could suggest to use screen and start gpg-agent
> using the option
>
>  --keep-tty

In that case, I suggest the following patch to the PGG documentation.
What do people think?

*** emacs/man/pgg.texi.~1.16.~  2007-01-17 22:03:18.000000000 -0500
--- emacs/man/pgg.texi  2007-02-23 14:35:46.000000000 -0500
***************
*** 229,236 ****
  @node Caching passphrase
  @section Caching passphrase

! PGG provides a simple passphrase caching mechanism.  If you want to
! arrange the interaction, set the variable @code{pgg-read-passphrase}.

  @defvar pgg-cache-passphrase
  If address@hidden, store passphrases.  The default value of this
--- 229,279 ----
  @node Caching passphrase
  @section Caching passphrase

! When using GnuPG (gpg) as the PGP scheme, we recommend using a program
! called @code{gpg-agent} for caching address@hidden
! @code{gpg-agent} does not cache passphrases but private keys.  On the
! other hand, from a user's point of view, this technical difference
! isn't visible.}.
!
! @defvar pgg-gpg-use-agent
! If address@hidden, attempt to use @code{gpg-agent} whenever possible.
! The default is @code{t}.  If @code{gpg-agent} is not running, or GnuPG
! is not the current PGP scheme, PGG's own passphrase-caching mechanism
! is used (see below).
! @end defvar
!
! To use @code{gpg-agent} with PGG, you must first ensure that
! @code{gpg-agent} is running.  For example, if you are running in the X
! Window System, you can do this by putting the following line in your
! @file{.xsession} file:
!
! @smallexample
! eval "$(gpg-agent --daemon)"
! @end smallexample
!
! For more details on invoking @code{gpg-agent}, @xref{Invoking
! GPG-AGENT,,,gnupg,Using the GNU Privacy Guard}.
!
! Whenever you perform a PGG operation that requires a GnuPG passphrase,
! GnuPG will contact @code{gpg-agent}, which prompts you for the
! passphrase.  Furthermore, @code{gpg-agent} ``caches'' the result, so
! that subsequent uses will not require you to enter the passphrase
! again.  (This cache usually expires after a certain time has passed;
! you can change this using the @code{--default-cache-ttl} option when
! invoking @code{gpg-agent}.)
!
! If you are running in a X Window System environment, @code{gpg-agent}
! prompts you for a passphrase by opening a graphical window.  However,
! if you are running Emacs on a text terminal, @code{gpg-agent} has
! trouble receiving input from the terminal, since it is being sent to
! Emacs.  One workaround for this problem is to run @code{gpg-agent} on
! a different terminal from Emacs, with the @code{--keep-tty} option;
! this tells @code{gpg-agent} use its own terminal to prompt for
! passphrases.
!
! When @code{gpg-agent} is not being used, PGG provides its own
! passphrase caching mechanism, which is controlled by the variable
! @code{pgg-read-passphrase}:

  @defvar pgg-cache-passphrase
  If address@hidden, store passphrases.  The default value of this
***************