Re: Extra character 194 appearing in network stream

From: Patrik Jonsson
Subject: Re: Extra character 194 appearing in network stream
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 01:31:06 -0800

Jason Rumney wrote:

>> I'm sure there are experts here that can tell me why this might be
>> happening, because at this point I'm stumped. I'm positive this was not
>> a problem in emacs 20, but it now happens very frequently in 23.0.
>>

> What is more interesting to us right now is whether Emacs 22 works, as
> we are close to releasing that.
I tracked the problem down to the piece of code that packed a number
into a network-order 4-byte string:

      (format "%c%c%c%c"
        (lsh (logand i 4278190080) -24)
        (lsh (logand i 16711680) -16)
        (lsh (logand i 65280) -8)
        (logand i 255))

which when (logand i 255) >127 apparently produces a 5-character string.
I tried it on both 22.0.92.1 and 23.0.0.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) with
identical results. It seems emacs has abandoned the notion that a
character is a byte, but one would at least think a character <256
should be one byte? Interestingly it never seems to make 2-byte
characters with just a single "%c" in the format, it needs at least one
preceding character to happen.

In any case I solved the problem by replacing this with the bindat
functions.

Regards,

/Patrik