Re: Default setting of `mm-coding-system-priorities'

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Re: Default setting of `mm-coding-system-priorities'
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 22:40:19 +0100

On Mon, Feb 12 2007, David Kastrup wrote:

> nowadays a lot of GNU/Linux systems have set up an utf-8 locale by
> default.  Now the default value of
> mm-coding-system-priorities is
[...]
> It would now seem appropriate to make mm-coding-system-priorities
> effectively default to '(iso-8859-1 utf-8), namely first try
> iso-8859-1 before going over to utf-8.
>
> I am not sure whether this change is something that should be done at
> mm-coding-system-priorities level or in the English language
> environment, though.  But since it is reasonable in an utf-8 locale
> that files that are read and written are primarily considered utf-8,
> it really might be appropriate to confine the Latin-1 preference to
> mail and news interchange.
>
> But there it is _definitely_ preferable.

I'm not sure if it is obvious that everybody using a UTF-8 locale
prefers Latin-1 for outgoing mail and news.  Anyhow, as
mm-coding-system-priorities is customizable, I don't see any need to
change the default now.

We might want to try David's suggestion in Gnus CVS (trunk).
Opinions?  (Cc-ing ding)

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,