Re: copyrights to be fixed

From: joakim
Subject: Re: copyrights to be fixed
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 14:18:30 +0100

>       Are there major gaps in the features?
>
>     No, not that I have seen.
>
> A small number of people can't tell the answer to this question by
> running the program.
>
> We need the people who implemented the multi-tty code to tell us
> whether there are cases they have not handled yet that need to be
> handled to avoid loss of functionality.

This readme contains a list of known issues:

http://lorentey.hu/downloads/emacs/multi-tty/README.multi-tty

For convenience I paste the Known Problems list here:

Known problems:

        * GTK support.  If you compile your Emacs with the GTK
          toolkit, some functionality of multi-tty will be lost.  In
          particular, you will not be able to work on multiple X
          displays at once.  Current releases of GTK have limitations
          and bugs that prevent full-blown multi-display support in
          Emacs.  (GTK crashes when Emacs tries to disconnect from an
          X server.)  Use the Lucid toolkit if you want to see a
          complete feature set.

        * The single-kboard mode.

          If your multi-tty Emacs session seems to be frozen, you
          probably have a recursive editing session or a pending
          minibuffer prompt (which is a kind of recursive editing) on
          another display.  To unfreeze your session, switch to that
          display and complete the recursive edit, for example by
          pressing C-] (`abort-recursive-edit').

          I am sorry to say that currently there is no way to break
          out of this "single-kboard mode" from a frozen display.  If
          you are unable to switch to the display that locks the
          others (for example because it is on a remote computer),
          then you can use emacsclient to break out of all recursive
          editing sessions:

                emacsclient -e '(top-level)'

          Note that this (perhaps) unintuitive behaviour is by design.
          Single-kboard mode is required because of an intrinsic Emacs
          limitation that is very hard to eliminate.  (This limitation
          is related to the single-threaded nature of Emacs.)

          I plan to implement better user notification and support for
          breaking out of single-kboard mode from locked displays.

        * Mac, Windows and DOS support is broken, doesn't even
          compile.  Multiple display support will probably not provide
          new Emacs features on these systems, but the multi-tty
          branch changed a few low-level interfaces, and the
          system-dependent source files need to be adapted
          accordingly.  The changes are mostly trivial, so almost
          anyone can help, if only by compiling the branch and
          reporting the compiler errors.

--
Joakim Verona
http://www.verona.se