Re: Image mode

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Image mode
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2007 14:41:02 -0500

    > The beginning user sees .jpg and thinks "this is an image; Emacs
    > will display it."  If displaying that image will cause some sort of
    > harm, he doesn't know any better.

    But neither does Emacs.  So there is no sense in Emacs making it more
    complicated for the user to display an image.

I agree with this conclusion, but I get there in a different way.

    > Most users are not wary of images.

    That's their problem.

Whatever bad thing happens to the user, it is the user's problem.  Our
problem is to try to eliminate likely causes of bad results from use
of Emacs.  That includes bad results due to viewing an image named
foo.jpg, and bad results due to viewing an image named foo.c.

I don't see any sense in adding an inconvenience to deal with the
latter case while ignoring the former.  That would be barring the
window while the door is open.

However, for reasons of confusion over what C-c C-c should do, I now
agree that we should not automatically turn on Image minor mode when
some major mode has been recognized from the file name.