Re: Image mode

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Image mode
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 13:00:09 +0100

On 2/5/07, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

Maybe this would even be a workable idea for auto-mode-alist (there
are actually rather few extensions, like ".Z", where there would be
some argument against it).

And now, we're FINALLY BACK TO THE START!! Congratulations!!

:) :)

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

This whole kerfuffle started like this: someone asks for Emacs to
recognize uppercase image extensions, some other developer talks about
doing that (generically) for all `auto-mode-alist', Richard says "No
way" (because it is not the correct thing to do), a bit of discussion,
I propose using content auto-detection, another user or developer
agrees because he has thumbnail images with no recognizable extension
(from his camera), more discussion about doing lower-case and then
case-folded passes over `auto-mode-alist', Richard says "No way" a few
more times, image auto-detection gets implemented, then security
concerns arise... and the rest is history.

(Of course, that's my abridged, and highly subjective, recollection
from the several threads where all this has been discussed; and I mean
*no disrespect at all* for anyone involved in the discussion.)

                   /L/e/k/t/u