Image mode

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Image mode
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 00:52:02 +0200

I'm very disappointed by the recent changes related to image display.
Due to paranoid fears, a good feature was deteriorated to an unusable state.
Can someone name any other major program were viewing images is
the same big pain for users as is now in Emacs!

Let's restore this feature back to the reasonable state.  This is simple:
before visiting an image file, the user sees its extension and by the
extension can decide whether to display the image or not.  There is
no need to require from the user typing more keys to do what the user
already decided to do.

A different case is image autodetection.  When the image file has an
extension unusual for image files or has no extension at all, then it
would be a (possibly bad) surprise for the user to see it displayed as
an image.  I agree that there should be an option that by default before
displaying the image from files with non-image extensions should either
ask for confirmation before visiting such file in image-mode, or (better)
visit the file just in image-minor-mode with more explanations shown
in the echo area.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/