Re: transpose-sexps

From: Stuart D. Herring
Subject: Re: transpose-sexps
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 10:06:09 -0800 (PST)

> It is probably possible to ask current major mode if we are in a string.
> If it is not possible, than it is probably worth it to invent a consistent
> interface that major modes would implement.  I agree that it is not to be
> done now, of course.  (And while I'm at it, it's a pity that "now" spans
> the last two years or so.)

Again, this is not a question of inventiveness, consistency, or any other
kind of design or programming at all.  It's a mathematical question,
really: it is easy to ask the question and to devise a mechanism for doing
so, but it is algorithmically non-trivial to determine the answer.  As
Richard has said, it might be possible to use the (new, complicated)
syntax caching support to answer this question in a reasonable amount of
time, at which point we can consider making C-M-t consult that.

Davis

shipping.