Re: CVS repository synchronization for RefTeX

From: Bill Wohler
Subject: Re: CVS repository synchronization for RefTeX
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2007 13:42:28 -0800

Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:

> How do other projects with repositories outside of Emacs, like
> CC mode or MH-E, handle this?

Hi Ralf,

I moved the MH-E repository from SourceForge to Savannah a year or two
ago reluctantly, and it has simplified maintenance a lot by
eliminating the merge process, even though it was largely automated.

It was not a problem getting the requisite papers from the MH-E
developers.

While Emacs is not in pretest, it is not a problem to develop and
release your package at any time. We have our own version
(mh-version), our own tags (try cvs stat -v lisp/mh-e/mh-e.el), and I
recently added a :package-version keyword to defcustom so that you can
track the changes to your options in the various versions of your
package.

I would have preferred that a branch were created by the Emacs
developers once the code was frozen for the first pretest so that we
could continue to develop MH-E on the trunk. The rationale is that
there is a lot more development on the trunk than on the pretest
branch, and therefore merging from a branched pretest to the trunk is
a lot easier than vice-versa. A branch also protects the pretest from
unnecessary check-ins. But, until that happens, we can fairly easily
create a branch ourselves and merge back to the trunk once Emacs is
released.

In short, I'm much happier using the Emacs repository at Savannah.

--
Bill Wohler <address@hidden>  http://www.newt.com/wohler/  GnuPG ID:610BD9AD