RE: defcustom and the stars.

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: defcustom and the stars.
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 09:08:04 -0800

> Again, it is with the previous patch.  With it, not only « You can
> customize the variable » can appear, but also « You can change at user
> level the variable », which means that you can M-x set-var this var.

If that's what you mean, then that's what should be said: "You can use
command `set-variable' to change the value". This is confusing: "change at
user level".

> | You can change at user level this variable.
> « change » is a hyperlink. Following it is the same as
> M-x set-variable

I'd rather we just mentioned `set-variable' explicitly, to teach about it.
No need to use `C-h v' each time if you know you want to change the value
and you know about `set-variable'.

"You can change at user level" doesn't teach anything. It says less (because
it is confusing) than just "You can change this variable" (with a link on
"change").

It's actually the value that is changed, so "You can change the value" is
better, but still not as good as "You can use command `set-variable' to
change the value".