Re: CVS repository synchronization for RefTeX

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: CVS repository synchronization for RefTeX
Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2007 20:12:54 +0100

* Reiner Steib (2007-01-01) writes:

> On Sun, Dec 31 2006, Ralf Angeli wrote:
>
>> What I dislike about it is that the files will be scattered throughout
>> Emacs' repository.  This makes fetching the "package" RefTeX from CVS
>> much more complicated.  And with the branch it would get even harder
>> if people want to fetch a development version.
>
> If I understand Stefan correctly, it's possible to create a branch
> with just the RefTeX relevant files.

I have yet to find documentation of such a feature.  The only thing
I've found was a usenet post warning not to branch selected files
only, because CVS gets confused when updating or commiting in a
directory containing branched and non-branched files.  Such a mix
might not happen with the setup proposed by Stefan, however.

>> Also stuff like `C-x 4 a' won't work with such a file layout and a
>> single ChangeLog file.
>
> A the changes would be done in the Emacs CVS directory layout, also
> these ChangeLog files (lisp/ChangeLog, man/ChangeLog) should be used.
> No problem with `C-x 4 a'.

And what about standalone releases?  Would those be shipped with
ChangeLog files for each directory?  We'd probably have to clean those
files in the branch of any entries not related to RefTeX.

> I played a bit with the following[1] sketch of admin/reftex/Makefile.
> Using grep-changelog we can build RefTeX-only ChangeLog files

Okay, that would be another approach.

I still cannot say that I am too enthusiastic about maintaining a
package when its files are scattered throughout a larger repository.

--
Ralf