Re: pgg-encrypt is a pain in the neck

From: Daiki Ueno
Subject: Re: pgg-encrypt is a pain in the neck
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 10:02:10 +0900

> > One way to fix pgg-encrypt would be to give it heuristics like the
> > ones mailcrypt-encrypt uses.  Another would be to declare pgg-encrypt
> > to be a "low level" interface, reliable for programs with no DWIM, and
> > define a different command for users to encrypt their messages.

> PGG is rather "low level" in context of mail encryption, but please
> bear in mind, that there are other uses for GnuPG: You can encrypt
> other private or confidential stuff just to keep it safe without
> sending it per mail, and that's where the currently available user
> functions come in handy.

I think it's not a bad idea to make pgg-encrypt (not pgg-encrypt-region)
use such a heuristics, and actually it's not hard to implement.

By the way, it could be a nightmare if mailcrypt were included right
now.  After a brief look at mailcrypt.el and mc-gpg.el, I found that it
has the same security problem which once PGG had, and currently no
support for gpg-agent.  We have to work on two different "low level"
(and not smart, I think) interfaces?
--
Daiki Ueno