Re: CVS repository synchronization for RefTeX

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: CVS repository synchronization for RefTeX
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 20:03:31 +0200

> Cc: address@hidden,
>  Ralf Angeli <address@hidden>,
>  address@hidden
> From: Carsten Dominik <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 17:47:55 +0100
>
> On Dec 30, 2006, at 16:20, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> >
> > But you might need to do that anyway, since some Emacs features used
> > by RefTeX will require a newer Emacs.
> >
> > Besides, why not couple them?  What's the problem?
>
> RefTeX has always had a life outside the Emacs CVS repository,
> to make it run with XEmacs and with non-CVS emacs.  It is
> still fully compatible with Emacs 21, and it caters for XEmacs
> as well.
> There are many people who use RefTeX but still use Emacs 21,
> and even after the 22 release, this will be true for quite a
> while.

Ralf said Emacs release cycle is too slow, but now you say that there
are many RefTeX users that still use Emacs 21.  This sounds like a
contradiction to me.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that developing an Emacs package outside
Emacs bears additional burden.  It is up to you to decide whether that
burden is justified.