Re: global minor modes that can be overridden locally?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: global minor modes that can be overridden locally?
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 17:15:00 -0500

> `define-global-minor-mode' is new in Emacs 22. I think we have the
> opportunity now to correct its name to avoid confusing users.

As the original inventor of the name (and code) of define-global-minor-mode,
I agree that it's not ideal.  I hope we can come up with something better.
But note that the operation really defines a new global minor mode whose
effect is to turn on in most buffers the other (buffer-local) minor-mode.
Calling it make-minor-mode-global would be wrong, because it would make it
seem like it will change the buffer-local minor-mode to a global one,
whereas the buffer-local minor-mode is actually unaffected.

        Stefan