Re: (no subject)

From: Slawomir Nowaczyk
Subject: Re: (no subject)
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 15:17:19 +0100

On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 11:43:55 -0700
Kevin Rodgers <address@hidden> wrote:

#> Werner LEMBERG wrote:
#> > [CVS 2006-10-28]
#> >
#> > I've just seen the following link in an email:
#> >
#> >
http://www.google.com/codesearch?hl=en&q=+pango_layout_(iter_)%3Fget_(lines%3F%7Crun)%5B%5E_%5D&start=50&sa=N
#> >
#> > As you can probably can see immediately, thingatpt only colorizes (and
#> > uses) the string up to `..._layout_', stopping at the opening
#> > parenthesis.
#> >
#> > Is this intentional or is this a bug?
#>
#> It is intentional, as parentheses are explicitly excluded from URLs by
#> thing-at-point-url-path-regexp.  It could be a bug, as parentheses are
#> defined as reserved characters in URIs, which are only sometimes percent-
#> encoded, depending on the context; but I think they are allowed within
#> both the path and query components of generic URIs (without being
#> percent-encoded).
#>
#> So just as the slashes in the URI above should not need to be %-encoded
#> (since they follow the ?, they are clearly within the query component),
#> neither should the parentheses need to be %-encoded -- but perhaps they
#> ought to be.

FWIW, I have found this behaviour to be pretty annoying: URLs like this
one are becoming rather common nowadays (at least in my experience) and
the fact that find-file-at-point does not handle them feels like a bug.

--
 Best wishes,
   Slawomir Nowaczyk

All I want is a warm bed, and a kind word, and unlimited power.