Re: Bug: can not start a w32 GUI program from Emacs

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: Bug: can not start a w32 GUI program from Emacs
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 11:52:30 +0100

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 01:38:13 +0100
From: "Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <address@hidden>

I have been trying different ways to start explorer.exe from Emacs on w32. I can not find any way that works. It is a quite annoying bug.

Did you try w32-shell-execute?

Thanks, I thought I did, but I should have tried more. For example

   (w32-shell-execute "open" ".")

just gives "ShellExecute failed: No application is associated with the specified file for this operation". But trying again I see that

  (w32-shell-execute "open" default-directory)

actually starts explorer.exe.

So now I can define these to integrate more with w32:

(defun w32-explorer(dir)
  "Open Windows Explorer in directory DIR."
  (interactive "DStart in directory: ")
  (setq dir (expand-file-name dir))
  (w32-shell-execute "open" dir))

(defun w32-cmd(dir)
  "Open a Windows command prompt in directory DIR."
  (interactive "DStart in directory: ")
  (let ((default-directory (expand-file-name dir)))
    (call-process "cmd.exe" nil 0 nil "/c" "start")))