Re: Compilation problems with latest MSVC

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Compilation problems with latest MSVC
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 12:35:24 +0100

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
It seems like latest versions of MSVC are incompatible with the Emacs
build procedure (MSVC 6 compiles the current CVS just fine).  See the
error messages below; this is with Visual Studio 2005 Express Edition,
the MS ``freeware'' distribution.

I could try working on these when I have time, but the question is: do
we care?  Is it enough to say that the last version of MSVC we support
is v6?  (Does anyone know if Studio 7 is okay?)

I think it would be good to be able to compile with MSVC 7 too. I sometimes wonder if strange problems I see have something to do with bugs in the gcc compiler.

I am not saying that there are any problems with the gcc compiler. The problems I see are stability problems on my pc. I hoped they would be gone with my new pc using xp, but I have seen some problems again. Of course I have no idea which program causes this, but it would be fine to sometimes be able to run Emacs compiled with MSVC and see if that makes any difference. (The instabilities are very rare however so it is very hard to find out what is wrong. Probably some resource problem.)