Re: Toolbar redraw causes unwanted selection

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Toolbar redraw causes unwanted selection
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 00:03:06 -0500

    >                        But maybe the right fix is not to change the
    > height of the toolbar.  Maybe once the tool bar gets bigger it should
    > keep its new size until the user does something to let it shrink again.

    And what should that action be?

Perhaps (recenter nil), i.e., typing C-l.

    IMO, this would be a gigantic step backwards -- since the toolbar
    resizing code (after a lot of work) actually works correctly now.

It's good that the resizing code works, because we certainly want
automatic resizing when the tool bar wants to get bigger.  And if we
change to waiting for C-l to make it smaller, that will use the
automatic resizing code too.

The reason I suggest waiting for C-l (or maybe for something else)
before making it smaller is that I think the frequent changes
in tool bar size, when switching back and forth between two windows,
could be annoying for the user.