Re: [h-e-w] EmacsW32 filename completion using space bar

From: Stuart D. Herring
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] EmacsW32 filename completion using space bar
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 12:29:20 -0800 (PST)

>> That was no problem in version 20, which I am still
>> running.  E.g., if I type "c:/Prog ", it completes out
>> to "c:/Program".  If I then type another space, that
>> just echoes, as there is a directory name with a space
>> there.  If I then type yet another space, it completes
>> out to "c:/Program Files/".  This seems to be a
>> natural and friendly way for it to behave.  Since it
>> did so in earlier versions and apparently does no
>> longer, I would venture that it is now broken.

>From etc/NEWS:

--begin--

** When Emacs prompts for file names, SPC no longer completes the file name.
This is so filenames with embedded spaces could be input without the
need to quote the space with a C-q.  The underlying changes in the
keymaps that are active in the minibuffer are described below under
"New keymaps for typing file names".

--end--

The idea is that just because "Program Files" is the only thing beginning
with "Prog" -now- doesn't mean that you don't want to create something
like "Prog in Prague/personae.txt", the beginning of a new novel.  You can
modify the keymaps minibuffer-local-filename-completion-map and
minibuffer-local-must-match-filename-map if you prefer the old behavior.

Davis

shipping.