Re: url-http.el: error for redirected proxy connections

From: Magnus Henoch
Subject: Re: url-http.el: error for redirected proxy connections
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2006 01:46:40 +0100

Klaus Straubinger <address@hidden> writes:

> The change
>
> |     * url-http.el (url-http): Make proxy-object buffer-local, to
> |     handle proxied asynchronous connections correctly.
>
> introduced a problem when the URL package tries to fetch a redirected
> URL trough a proxy connection. The function url-http-create-request has
> not the correct value of the variable proxy-object to extract the host
> name in this case, resulting in an error message.
>
> Simply leaving out the line
>
>       (make-local-variable 'proxy-object)
>
> in function url-http did solve the problem for me.

That line was introduced because of my ignorance of the unfruitful
interactions of let bindings and buffer-local variables...

> The above mentioned correction introduced this line; its purpose had
> not been clear to me because proxy-object is only used dynamically
> and does not belong to a buffer, as far as I can see.

"Not clear" is indeed an accurate description.  I have now simplified
the code (in particular url-http-create-request), and it seems that
proxies and target URLs are now passed along properly.

Magnus