Re: unicode font-backend + tiling

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: unicode font-backend + tiling
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 13:42:54 +0900

Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> writes:
> It's quite easy to display characters without aa
> (anti-aliasing), but the problem is how we specify aa or
> non-aa for a specific set of characters/fonts.  We may want
> aa even for Chinese characters if the font size is smaller
> than some threshold.  So, we must design a flexible
> interface that can be controlled by users.

Couldn't Emacs, by default at least, just let xft/freetype/whatever
decide?  I was under the impression that other apps just did that, and
it seems to work well (roman letters use aa, cjk doesn't use aa at
"normal" sizes, but _does_ at big sizes).

Sorry if the above doesn't make much sense ... :-)

-Miles
--
The car has become... an article of dress without which we feel uncertain,
unclad, and incomplete.  [Marshall McLuhan, Understanding Media, 1964]