Re: emacsclient: support `/' directory separator on w32

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: emacsclient: support `/' directory separator on w32
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 20:43:34 +0100

David Kastrup wrote:

In this case

C-x C-f C:/dir/xxx.txt RET
M-x cd RET D:/woozle RET (Sets default-directory to D:/woozle/)
C-x C-f D:/junk/ddd.txt RET (Sets default-directory to D:/junk/)
M-x cd RET D:poz RET   => D:/junk/poz
C-x C-b xxx.txt RET (Sets default-directory to C:/dir/)
C-x C-f D:pizza RET => D:/junk/pizza

I don't see how and when you are planning to call the operating
system.  `default-directory' changes in every visited buffer.  That
means that a (with-current-buffer "ddd.txt" nil) can change the
meaning of "D:xxx" in the current buffer when `default-directory' in
"ddd.txt" is "D:/plopp", and `default-directory' in the current buffer
is "C:/blubb".

Well, I thought on changing it at every buffer visit. But then I was thinking of user actions of course.

The mere act of switching to a different buffer is supposed to have
such effects?

If the user visit a new buffer in a window, yes. My thoughts are not very clear, but seems like this could be done after each user command. Set the current directory to default-directory then. Would that not be clear enough?

This is not sane.  We should certainly not do anything like that now,
and I severely doubt we should ever do that.

Maybe it is not sane, but I think it is close to the logic used in cmd.exe on w32 so it will be no surprise to the user IMHO.