Re: emacsclient: support `/' directory separator on w32

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: emacsclient: support `/' directory separator on w32
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 20:17:44 +0200

> Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 09:29:34 +0100
> From: Lennart Borgman <address@hidden>
> CC:  address@hidden,  address@hidden
>
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> >> Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 01:51:51 +0100
> >> From: Lennart Borgman <address@hidden>
> >> Cc: address@hidden
> >>
> >> I am not quite sure, but I believe I have seen that the recommendation
> >> from MS for a file argument is to use GetFullPathName.
> >
> > But Emacs does not do it, see expand-file-name.  So your proposed
> > changes make emacsclient behave differently than Emacs.
>

> What is the reason that Emacs does not do it?

I don't know, perhaps some history, or maybe there's a problem in
supporting it on Windows due to some adverse side effects (I vaguely
remember some problems in the past, but perhaps my failing memory just
tricks me; I need to search archives of old discussions and ChangeLogs
for old changes).  To ``fix'' this now in Emacs would be a mistake,
since Emacs on Windows works like that for a long time, and no one
complained AFAIR.  It is a problem that needs to be carefully studied,
implemented and tested, and now is not the time to do it.

As long as Emacs does not support drive-relative file names, doing
that in emacsclient will only create confusion and bug reports.  Let's
let this issue lie; we have already a terrific new feature--emacsclient
is working on Windows.  Even if there's a limitation that it doesn't
support d:foo, it's not a grave problem; people will live with it, I
assure you.  Let's revisit the whole issue of drive-relative file
names after the release.