Re: Ido and hosts named with a single letter.

From: Michaël Cadilhac
Subject: Re: Ido and hosts named with a single letter.
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 18:04:53 +0100

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> address@hidden (Michaël Cadilhac) writes:
>
>> Try this :
>> emacs -Q
>> M-x ido-mode
>> C-x C-f /tmp
>>
>> Everything's okey.
>> Now, do the same but before, add a line with a `w' in your known hosts:
>> echo w >> ~/.ssh/known_hosts
>>
>> It will result in the error « Login failed ». Disgracious.

> IIRC, the .. is deliberate.
>
> I would fear that this change will break ido on Windoze as it may then
> confuse single letter hostnames and drive letters, e.g. c: vs. c: ...

You're completely right. The simpler solution is to not allow one
letter hostnames on MS Windows.

Maybe with the following :

But it's probably better to do that : if the file actually exists (c:
should exist, I suppose), then use it. Otherwise, use tramp.

I can propose the following :

but I really don't know if it works on Windows.

BTW, something tickles me about all that: why functions like
file-exists-p & co doesn't check if the file is not an actual
stat(2)-able file before getting any fanciness with file name
handlers ?

--
/!\ My mail address has changed, please update your files accordingly.
 |      Michaël `Micha' Cadilhac   |  «Tu aimeras ton prochain.»            |