Re: Should we remove pgg-pgp5.el?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Should we remove pgg-pgp5.el?
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 21:24:24 -0500

>> AFAICT pgp5 is not Free Software.  Should we remove the pgg-pgp5.el file
>> that handles pgg's support for pgp5?

> progmodes/sql.el supports Oracle, for example. For what I gather from
> previous discussions, I think it is acceptable if we're not offering
> better support for the non-free program than for the free
> alternatives.

IIUC another concern is that supporting this non-free should be more
favorable to Emacs than to this non-free software.

In this particular case I believe that pgp5 is sufficiently rare, poorly
supported, and advantageously replaced by gpg (whether you care about your
own freedom or not), that I don't think Emacs has much to benefit from
supporting it.

        Stefan