Re: -DVERSION for emacsclient

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: -DVERSION for emacsclient
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 23:13:04 +0200

> Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 20:28:35 +0100
> From: "Juanma Barranquero" <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> > There's one other option: write a short C program that will run during
> > the build and extract the version string from version.el, and supply
> > that program as part of the Emacs distribution (in the nt/
> > subdirectory).
> >
> > On balance, I think this is the best alternative.
>
> That's trivial to do, but I don't understand why you don't favor just
> hardcoding the version into nt/configure.bat or
> lib-src/Makefile.w32-in and modifying admin/admin.el to update it...

Because someone needs to remember to update the hardcoded string each
time a new version is released.  Having that in admin.el is only a
band-aid, since someone needs to remember to run it prior to a
release.  That's a maintenance burden that we should avoid, I think.

However, given the amount of files we already handle in admin.el,
perhaps adding lib-src/makefile.w32-in to the list isn't a big deal.
Although I'd prefer that all those files except version.el were
handled like we do with -DVERSION in lib-src/Makefile.in.