Re: Problems compiling on Archlinux 64

From: Michael Fellinger
Subject: Re: Problems compiling on Archlinux 64
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 10:29:57 +0900

On Wednesday 22 November 2006 03:31, Chong Yidong wrote:
> Michael Fellinger <address@hidden> writes:
> > make[2]: *** No rule to make target `/usr/lib64/crt1.o', needed by
> > `temacs'. Stop.
> > make[2]: Leaving directory
> > `/home/manveru/pkgbuilds/emacs-cvs/src/emacs/src' make[1]: ***
> > [bootstrap-build] Error 2
> > make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/manveru/pkgbuilds/emacs-cvs/src/emacs'
> > make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2
> >
> > I was told that this directory (/usr/lib64) does not exist since
> > Archlinux follows the LFS and Archlinux64 the CLFS standards. The same
> > seems to be the case for FreeBSD.
>
> Do other amdx86-64 distributions use /usr/lib64?  If so, how do we
> distinguish between the two cases?

Well, the simplest way i could come up with is to look if such a folder exists
at all simply doing this check after looking up `arch` returns a
64bit-system.
As far as i know quite some distributions use /usr/lib64 to use both 64bit and
32bit (in /usr/lib) libraries. However, distributions who do not support
32bit libs at all only use /usr/lib
this is the case (only as far as i know) for FreeBSD (sorry guys, of course
it's _no_ distribution ;), LFS (by default), Slackware (Slax), Archlinux and
Gentoo.
Some more might be out there, especially all that are based on the distros i
mentioned.

thanks again for looking into this.

^manveru