Re: address@hidden: mouse-1-click-follows-link doesn'tgovern behavior in

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: address@hidden: mouse-1-click-follows-link doesn'tgovern behavior in Customize]
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 09:42:59 -0500

>     > Could we change cus-edit.el to make a link instead of a widget?
>     > But changing widget-documentation-link-add, say?
>
>     At the Lisp level, the custom-group-link widgets behave rather
>     differently from ordinary links used in, e.g., the *Help* buffer.
>
> I believe you, but aren't we talking about two different questions?
> You're talking about how link widgets look and operate, and thus
> addressing the possibility of changing how they look or how they
> operate.
>
> I am talking about the possibility of replacing the link widgets
> with ordinary links.
>
> Can't this be done with a localized change in
> widget-documentation-link-add?

No, because that would not change the other *-link widgets (custom
group links, info links, etc) that are also present.  These are
generally specified at run-time using an :action argument, and there
is no single localized change that can be used to implement the
follow-link behavior fdor them.  Changing
widget-documentation-link-add would mean that documentation string
link widgets would behave differently from other link widgets in the
same Customize buffer!