Re: install error on Mac OS X

From: Seiji Zenitani
Subject: Re: install error on Mac OS X
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 22:57:51 +0900

Hello,

On 2006/11/02, at 8:37, Kazu Yamamoto wrote:

% ./configure --enable-carbon-app=/Applications --without-x -- prefix=/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources
    % make
    % sudo make install

If those args to ./configure are necessary,
should Emacs be changed so that it works ok
without those arguments?

Yamamoto-san's way is favorable because everything is enclosed in the /Application directory.

By the way, Mac users often move an Emacs icon (/Applications/ Emacs.app) to other place (/Somewhere/Else/Emacs.app). Therefore, it is much more favorable if emacs is independent of its prefix path. Take a look at the mac/make-package script in the emacs source code. The line

        ./make-package --self-contained

will build a prefix-independent version of emacs, by re-arranging its internal directory structure. I recommend this 'self-contained' way rather than the above Yamamoto-san's way.

Also, for simplicity, I think 'mac/make-package' should be integrated into the configure script. How about removing 'mac/make-package' and then introducing a new configure option, something like './configure --self-contained'?

best regards,

Seiji Zenitani
address@hidden