Re: Large changes in emacsclient

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Large changes in emacsclient
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 12:28:45 +0100

On 11/2/06, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:

But people should have asked me
before installing such a troublesome change at this late date.

From http://tinyurl.com/yb349k : "I did some work on this, which I
left aside because of the 100% CPU bug. I'd be willing to continue
with it (assuming the bug is fixed), but I cannot promise I won't miss
the "start of the pretesting" deadline, if it is that imminent as it
does appear."

From http://tinyurl.com/yk8s5z : "As I said earlier, I intend to work
on it, but I don't think I'll hit the pretest target (if the date is
"beginning of September")."

Eli answered: "Since your work is about fixing a feature that was
broken, there should be no problem to install the fix even after the
pretest starts."

In http://tinyurl.com/yknek2 Kim said: "IMO, we should add the tcp
support in Emacs 22 (before the next pretest)."

Eli answered: "Agreed."

On http://tinyurl.com/yblncc Jason said: "OTOH, perhaps it is already
too late to consider this for release, and Windows users will have to
continue to use gnuclient until Emacs 23 is released."

On http://tinyurl.com/y5j3jy I said: "BTW, I'd *really* like for
someone to test the changes and comment on my other questions.
Otherwise, I'm just gonna commit the code and wait for the fireworks
:)"

Stefan answered: "Please do so".

On http://tinyurl.com/sjyxx I said: "(Note: I'm beating this into
shape with the idea of installing it in the next few days; I sure hope
the pretest is not a problem...)"

I got no answer to that last one.

So, even if you're technically correct in that I didn't specifically
asked for your permission, the issue was discussed several times in
public (and, in some cases, in threads you participated, like the one
discussing using (random t) for server.el). In all cases I was
encouraged to commit the patch.

Moreover, I resent the "troublesome" bit of your comment. All in all,
the emacsclient/server patch is quite small, and most issues have been
related to simple configuration issues that I had no way to test (and
said so) and that have been trivially fixed.

                   /L/e/k/t/u