Re: Emacs and GFortran

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Emacs and GFortran
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 22:51:42 +0100 (CET)

   Have you actually read gfortran source code other than error.c?

I have.

   > Here is another version that is should be backward compatible
   > with the bits that the testsuite parses.  This will fix the
   > problem the original user reported; namley allowing programs that
   > parse GNU style error message to jump to the location of the
   > error/warning.

   I've already posted a counter example that will not allow a
   person to jump to the location of the error.  You need to
   read the entire error message to decide where the error is.

Your example doesn't counter anything, this is your example with GNU
style error messages (simply removing "In file", and adding a extra
semi-colon):

| l.inc:1:
|
|      Included at l.f90:2
|
|    integer i
|            1
| l.f90:3:
|
|    call i(j)
|            2
| Error: 'i' at (1) has a type, which is not consistent with the CALL at (2)

Which will work with any program that parses GNU style error messages
by producing two places where one can go to; the user can choose which
place to edit.  It doesn't have to catch the exact place, it is after
all not a substitute for a brain.

Can you please apply one of those patches?  They both fix the problem.