Re: Emacs and GFortran

From: Steve Kargl
Subject: Re: Emacs and GFortran
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 10:03:54 -0800

On Wed, Nov 01, 2006 at 10:37:12AM -0700, Warren Turkal wrote:
> On Wednesday 01 November 2006 09:40, Richard Stallman wrote:
> > All of GCC should follow the GNU standards for error messages.
>
> I guess I don't see why this is so unreasonable to the GFortran developers.
> It
> seems that GFortran should conform to the standards (however established) of
> GCC.

Have you even looked at the complexity of the gfortran error mechanism?
Run this source code through gfortran

http://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/attachment.cgi?id=9570

To make gfortran conform to

http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/standards.html#index-error-messages_002c-formatting-31

requires more than the 2 line patch posted earlier.  There are
at least 1022 possible routes to show_locus.

troutmask:sgk[207] grep gfc_error *c | wc -l
     891
troutmask:sgk[208] grep gfc_warning *c | wc -l
      64
troutmask:sgk[210] grep gfc_notify *c | wc -l
      67

You will need to audit each and every one to ensure that the messages
meet your expectations.  You'll then need to fix the testsuite.

gfortran's error mechanism is fragile, but works.

If you and/or any of the other whiners in this thread want to contribute
to gfortran then fix an actual problem.  It's not hard to find the list

http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GFortran

   ICE-ON-VALID-CODE, REJECTS-VALID & WRONG-CODE 32 bugs on 27th October 2006
   ICE-ON-INVALID-CODE & ACCEPTS-INVALID 32 bugs on 27th October 2006
   DIAGNOSTIC 31 bugs on 27th October 2006

Some of these bugs have been opened for years (yes, that's years).
There are too few developers and too much to do.

--
Steve