Re: Recent changes to add-to-list

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Recent changes to add-to-list
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 08:33:10 -0500

    The main problem I have with this is that it incurs additional runtime
    overhead even for the default case, and even though the comparison
    function will be function almost always.

It is not in a loop, so it won't take a lot of time.
I think it is insignificant.

                                              So I would think it more
    reasonable to add separate functions, add-to-listq, add-to-listql and
    add-to-list-whatever.  That is verbose on obarray, but does not impact
    the general use case.

That would be really ugly.  Do you have a case where the slowdown
is really a problem?

    Note that this walks through the entire list even if the first
    comparison already establishes the presence of a list element.  That
    is very bad, since that is likely the most common use case.

That is a real slowdown.  Since you've written a fix,
would you please install it?