Re: Info-search-isearch

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Info-search-isearch
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 22:18:51 +0200

> Should we, after the release, come up with a quicker, easier way to toggle
> incremental search to/from incremental word searching?

I have a better idea now for implementing this.  A new command like:

(defun isearch-toggle-word ()
  "Toggle word searching on or off."
  (interactive)
  (setq isearch-word (not isearch-word))
  (setq isearch-success t isearch-adjusted t)
  (isearch-update))

and a new keybinding:

(define-key isearch-mode-map "\M-sw" 'isearch-toggle-word)

will provide a easier way to toggle on/off incremental word search.

A new prefix key M-s seems like a good key to put all other
isearch-related keybindings on it too:

(define-key isearch-mode-map "\M-s\C-y" 'isearch-yank-kill)
(define-key isearch-mode-map "\M-se" 'isearch-edit-string)
(define-key isearch-mode-map "\M-sr" 'isearch-toggle-regexp)
(define-key isearch-mode-map "\M-sc" 'isearch-toggle-case-fold)

> WDOT? Should Juri's tip be documented now, say in node Word Search of
> the Emacs manual? If so, we should also mention how to toggle back to
> non-word incremental search.

Since it is too late for this release to make improvements, I think
we should at least document this tip in the Emacs manual.

> (We should call this incremental word search, BTW, not
> "half-incremental" search.)

I call it "half-incremental" because when you get into this search mode
(via `C-x M-e C-w WORDS C-s'), and start typing more words, incremental
search doesn't find them until you finish typing complete words,
so word search is not fully incremental.  However, I don't propose to
use the term "half-incremental" in the documentation, since this is an
inherent limitation of incremental word search.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/