Re: Pretest

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Pretest
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 11:53:29 -0400

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>  . The first line of some of the Info file cites its full absolute
>    file name on your machine, like this:
>
>     This is /home/cyd/emacs/lispintro/../info/eintr, produced by makeinfo
>     version 4.8 from /home/cyd/emacs/lispintro/emacs-lisp-intro.texi.
>
>    I don't know how this happened, especially since some of the files
>    have the correct text:
>
>     This is ../info/emacs, produced by makeinfo version 4.8 from emacs.texi.

Good catch.  This seems to be due to a difference in the man and
lispref/lispintro Makefiles.  The way man does it is

  INFO_TARGETS = ../info/emacs ../info/ccmode ....[etc]

  info: $(top_srcdir)/info $(INFO_TARGETS)

  ../info/emacs: ${EMACSSOURCES}
     cd $(srcdir); $(MAKEINFO) emacs.texi

whereas lispref does it like this:

  srcs = $(srcdir)/abbrevs.texi ....[etc]

  info: $(infodir)/elisp

  $(infodir)/elisp: $(srcs)
     $(MAKEINFO) -I. -I$(srcdir) $(srcdir)/elisp.texi -o $(infodir)/elisp

By analogy, this last line should be replaced by

     cd $(srcdir); $(MAKEINFO) elisp.texi

>  . The file info/emacs-xtra was produced incorrectly: it includes all
>    the stuff that should only be in the printed version, and is
>    therefore conditioned by @iftex.  I have no other clue to this
>    mystery except that the fact that it was somehow produced by a
>    different version of Makeinfo:
>
>     This is ../info/emacs-xtra, produced by makeinfo version 4.7 from
>     emacs-xtra.texi.
>
>    (A few other files are built by makeinfo 4.7 as well.)

There were probably stale info files in my CVS info directory.  I just
cleaned it out; this problem should go away in the next pretest
tarball.