Re: Pretest

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Pretest
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 13:17:23 +0200

> From: address@hidden (Kim F. Storm)
> Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 21:38:01 +0200
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> I wonder if we really need to provide xdeltas anymore.

Why not?  The Emacs tarball is significantly larger now than in
previous versions (because Calc, Leim, ELisp, and Lisp Intro are now
parts of it), so downloading a full tarball might be a pain.

> For most people there days, the time it takes to get them working (I
> remember having problems with the last pretest ...) compared to the
> time it takes to simply download a new tarball doesn't warrent the
> time needed to make them...

If you have a fast connection, yes.  But not everyone has it.

> >                                        If not, I think we should just
> > make a public announcement about the availability of the pretest
> > tarball on the Gnu Emacs webpage.
>
> comp.emacs, gnu.announce, and gnu.emacs.announce seem to be good places...

We never published pretests on those fori, only the official
releases.  Why should we change the policy now, that everyone who is
interested can read emacs-devel anyway?