Re: shell-command - missing shell-quote-argument for program?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: shell-command - missing shell-quote-argument for program?
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 06:12:09 -0400

    If we quote emerge-command and the various emerge-*-program, we in
    effect disallow them to be shell commands with switches.  Is that
    reasonable?  If it is, then we should quote the programs.

If that's what these variables do, their values should not be quoted,
so that they can include some arguments.

    > - defcustom explicit-bash-args

Since that exists only to be sent as arguments,
it should not be quoted.  The user will put in whatever
quoting is called for.