Re: need option so line-move-to-column ignores fields, plus patch

From: Ken Manheimer
Subject: Re: need option so line-move-to-column ignores fields, plus patch
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 15:19:01 -0400

On 10/11/06, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:
    i'm still having some problems with the behavior.  when moving
    downwards, the cursor jumps to column 1 for one line when it would
    wind up shifting to a new field.  it then resumes column-sticky
    behavior from the column on which it started, until the next field
    change.

That sounds like exactly what it is supposed to do.
Could you explain what you see as a problem?

darting over to column 1 or the end of line when the line move brings
it into a different field is entirely spurious for my purposes.  just
sticky column, regardless of fields, is much preferable.

it would also be fine to have the cursor stick to the boundary, on the
side of the field that the same as the field it came from, which is
what i thought you were suggesting.

i'm ok with just sticky column behavior, which is what my original
patch did, and having the cursor dart to beginning or end of line and
then recover the sticky column is better than the original behavior
(where it would get stuck to beginning or end of line), so i can live
with it, but it doesn't make sense in this context (ie,  line motion
between outline headlines).
--
ken
address@hidden