RE: Suggestion: minor change to TUTORIAL(.*)

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Suggestion: minor change to TUTORIAL(.*)
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 18:27:38 -0700

    >     >     | >> Type M-x text mode<Return>.
    >     >     `----
    >     >     "-" missing here.
    >     >
    >     > That is correct.  The user should type a space.
    >
    >     Isn't the conventional way to display that:
    >     Type `M-x text SPC mode RET'.
    >
    > I would say it should be `M-x t e x t SPC m o d e RET'.
    >
    > Neither `text' nor `mode' is a key name. These are
    > instructions for typing a key sequence; this is not the name
    > of a key sequence that includes keys named `text' and `mode'.

    But I would guess that most users would understand `M-x text-mode
    RET' (which I prefer) or `M-x text mode RET' much more easily.
    Logical thinking is not at the beginning. You are looking for an
    overview then.

Sometimes, what seems immediately readable is fraught with difficulty or
ambiguity when you try to apply it consistently. It is better to adopt, from
the beginning, a single notation that works unambiguously, and stick to it.

The convention used, whatever it is, should work for all contexts, that is,
all "Type this:" instructions. And it should be used consistently throughout
the manual.

The keystroke (key-typing) notation can be introduced in an overview. It is
not difficult to understand this convention:

- Single-quotes ("`", "'") set off keystroke instructions.

- Spaces separate keystrokes. Only spaces do this.
  A sequence of characters not separated by spaces
  represents a single keystroke (possibly a chord).

- `M-x' means hold the meta key depressed while
  hitting the `x' key. It is a chord, meaning that it
  is a single keystroke that uses more than one key.

- `SPC' means hit the space key.

- `RET' means hit the enter/return key.

There are no key names that contain spaces. This notation is unambiguous and
simple.

Spaces have no meaning as keystroke instructions in this notation.  They do
not represent keystrokes; they serve only to separate keystrokes.  So
multiple successive spaces can be used to enhance readability.

Is the following hard to understand?

  `M-x  t e x t  SPC  m o d e  RET'

[Note: None of this is about key-sequence notation (and that difference too
can be taught in the overview). This is about notation for keystroke
instructions. The key sequences involved here are in fact `M-x' (bound to
`execute-extended-command'), the individual letters (each bound to
`self-insert-command'), SPC (bound to `minibuffer-complete-word'), and `RET'
(bound to `exit-minibuffer').]