Re: Building Emacs-cvs on Cygwin

From: Angelo Graziosi
Subject: Re: Building Emacs-cvs on Cygwin
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 02:06:17 +0200 (MET DST)

Eli, Kim,

I would be very happy to follow the indications you give me, but, as I
wrote, I am not very familiar with GDB so it is very hard for me to follow
deeply your suggestions.

For the moment what I can say is this:

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> > Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
> > 0x200f213c in mark_object (arg=1569454217) at /tmp/emacs/src/alloc.c:5509
> > 5509                MARK_INTERVAL_TREE (ptr->intervals);
> > (gdb) bt
> > #0  0x200f213c in mark_object (arg=1569454217) at
> > /tmp/emacs/src/alloc.c:5509
> > #1  0x200f2a0f in Fgarbage_collect () at /tmp/emacs/src/alloc.c:5174
>
> It dies in garbage collection.  Can you try debugging this using the
> techniques described in etc/DEBUG (search for "GC")?

See above!

> Failing that, the only idea I have is to try and find the CVS commit
> that causes the crashes.  I think you said that CVS of Sep 4 did
> build; if that is true, you should be able to find the offending set
> of changes by successive bisections of the time period since then.
> The -D switch to CVS will allow you to check-out the tree that was
> current on a certain date.  It's almost certain that the problem was
> caused by some change in the src directory, so you could consider only
> the changes in src, at least initially.

If I have well understood, I should use:

  cvs -D20060901 -z3 \
-d:pserver:address@hidden:/cvsroot/emacs co -P emacs

to download the CVS source of Sep 01. If the build works, I should try
with Sep 10, for example; if it does not work I should try Sep 05 and so
on...

> One other idea is to try "emacs -nw", to see if the crashes are
> somehow related to the graphics display.  Maybe the results will give
> some ideas, I don't know.

If I run './emacs -nw' in the directory where the exe was made
(/tmp/emacs/.build/src) and from bash-Cygwin.bat, I have

   $ ./emacs.exe -nw
   Fatal error (6)Aborted (core dumped)

but in the same window+dir:
---------------------------------------
$ gdb ./emacs.exe
GNU gdb 6.5.50.20060706-cvs (cygwin-special)
are
conditions.
details.
This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-cygwin"...
Environment variable "DISPLAY" not defined.
TERM = cygwin
Breakpoint 1 at 0x2009e476: file /tmp/emacs/src/emacs.c, line 464.
Breakpoint 2 at 0x200b7e09: file /tmp/emacs/src/sysdep.c, line 1395.
(gdb) r
---------------------------------------

it starts and does not seem to have problem. Typing C-x C-c the minibufer
says 'C-x C-g undefined' ? I can quit using F-10-File-Exit-Emacs.

If I start './emacs &' fro that directory (/tmp/emacs/.build/src) and from
an X-window (urxvt) it hangs and I must kill it to reuse the window.
The same using gdb.

The previous reports regarded emacs started from the installation
directory (/usr/local/emacs-22.0.50/bin).

Kim F. Storm wrote:

> Can you try to debug that using the following gdb commands:
>
> p arg
> xpr
>
> (and if possible, expand on the value depending on what type of object
> it is).

See the head of this replay.

> Also, can you try to disable the tool-bar and see if the problem still
> happens.

Now comes something interesting. If you mean

  'Options - (Show)/Hide - toolbar'

Emacs, './emacs &', from the build dir /tmp/emacs/.build/src, from X
(urxvt), after "Options - (Show)/Hide - toolbar" is still running (it is
about 1 hour).

Thanks for the suggestions,

   Angelo.