Re: Hang in "double/triple" select()

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Hang in "double/triple" select()
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 01:00:15 +0200

Jan Djärv <address@hidden> writes:

> Has this only happened once?  Can you provoke it?  I would think
> marking some text in Emacs so it grabs the PRIMARY selection, and then
> yank that text in an xterm for example.  If Emacs is idle, there is a
> fair chanse that it is in select() in this case.  Unless there are
> timers and such running.

I now suspect that is related to someone replacing a router between
the PC running Emacs and the PC running the X-server while I was away.
.. so Emacs basically lost connection to the X-server, and for some
reason it didn't recover through the new router.

So if the select was waiting for input from the X server, it would
never return.

And a C-g on the X-server cannot get to the Emacs process.

I have also found an xterm window which showed the same problem -- so
it is a generic X problem - not specific to Emacs.

I think we can forget about this problem.  Sorry for the noise.