Re: gnus makes emacs lose response

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: gnus makes emacs lose response
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2006 14:18:34 -0400

After some further communication with Leon, I think I know the
problem: accept-process-output is called by the timer function
`gnus-demon' (which is a valid but IIUC not commonly-used component of
Gnus).  However, as documented in the Lisp Reference manual:

   Emacs binds `inhibit-quit' to `t' before calling the timer
   function, because quitting out of many timer functions can leave
   things in an inconsistent state.  This is normally unproblematical
   because most timer functions don't do a lot of work.  Indeed, for a
   timer to call a function that takes substantial time to run is
   likely to be annoying.

The result in this case is that this accept-process-output can't be
interrupted, and Emacs can hang if the process doesn't reply (e.g., if
the connection dies).

I'm not sure what the best way to handle this is.  Anyone?