Re: Customize with emacs -q: saving settings

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Customize with emacs -q: saving settings
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 23:34:05 -0400

    However, this is now a lie - there is no global Save button and
    no State-menu Save option for emacs -q.

I changed it to explain, in that case, why you can't save in the init
file.

    The UI should remain the same - same menu items, same buttons,
    regardless of whether -q is used.  Any items and buttons that are
    deemed inappropriate for emacs -q (or for any other particular
    context) should simply be deactivated.

On ttys there is no way to visually deactivate anything.  So I made a
change which at least makes things correct on all terminals.

If someone wants to implement something fancier for graphics displays,
he can do so, but I won't try now.