Re: single init file/directory for windows and linux using version contr

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: single init file/directory for windows and linux using version control svn or cvs
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 13:15:12 +0100

CHENG Gao wrote:
*On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 21:58:48 -0400
* Richard Stallman <address@hidden> climbed out of the dark hell and cried out:

Emacs ought to recognize ~/.emacs.d/init.el, on any system, when it does
not find .emacs.  If this does not work on Windows, it is a bug.
Could you confirm that that is what is happening to you?

I use ~/.emacs.d/init.el under M$ Windoze and MacOSX, thus I can put all
Emacs related setting files in one ./emacs.d/ file. I confirm this works
well under two OSes above mentioned.

The case found by the original poster is when $HOME is not set in the environment. In Emacs 22 we default to the user specific APPDATA system directory, but we first check that C:\.emacs and C:\_emacs do not exist, in case the user used a previous version of  Emacs that defaulted to C:\. The original poster had created C:\.emacs.d\init.el, but we do not check for this file when deciding whether to default to the old HOME location, since it is only supported since Emacs 22.