Did something change with respect to Emacs idle loop:

From: T. V. Raman
Subject: Did something change with respect to Emacs idle loop:
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 20:47:31 -0700

Following up to my own message:
I can now confirm that the behavior I describe is due to some
change in Emacs since Sunday.

I did a cvs update -D 2006-09-17 built the result, and the
strange behavior I described with respect to both mplayer and
emms has now gone, things are back as they should be.

Additional details:

This is a desktop system, and it's running powernowd --- though
in the ceasing  up of mp3 streams I describe below, things dont
get unwedged when you have keyboard activity on another console,
so it's not that the entire machine has gone to sleep -- just
Emacs.

So anyway, I believe the bits that changed the behavior got
checked in  since Sep 17, and sometime before Tuesday September
19 -- I started noticing the bizarre behavior first yesterday
evening PDT

    tvr> I believe the only thing that has changed in my emacs
    tvr> environment since Monday is Emacs itself (I regularly
    tvr> update from CVS).
    tvr>
    tvr> That said, I notice the following change in behavior
    tvr> with respect to subprocesses launched from inside emacs
    tvr> that leads me to suspect that something has indeed
    tvr> changed, though looking at Changelog, all timer related
    tvr> changes are in xterm related code, and I'm seeing this
    tvr> on the console outside of X.
    tvr>
    tvr> Here is my best attempt at describing the situation;
    tvr> *warning* it's not going to be something simple that is
    tvr> easily reproducable -- I'm still trying to find a simple
    tvr> test case.
    tvr>
    tvr> Symptoms: Run processes like mplayer via start-process
    tvr> from inside emacs, e.g. playing an mp3 file --- output
    tvr> comes to a stop after a fixed length of time --
    tvr> typically about a minute. Any form of kbd activity ---
    tvr> even the first key in a multi-key sequence -- gets
    tvr> things unwedged i.e. the mp3 stream continues to play.
    tvr>
    tvr> Another situation where I've noticed changed behavior is
    tvr> with emms (2.1) --- if you launch a playlist then
    tvr> playback stops after each track, and you again need to
    tvr> touch the keyboard for it to move to the next track.
    tvr>
    tvr> Again, in both cases, any keypress appears adequate to
    tvr> get things moving --- even partial keys e.g. C-x where
    tvr> C-x is a prefix key making up a key-sequence.
    tvr>
    tvr> -- Best Regards, --raman
    tvr>
    tvr>
    tvr> Email: address@hidden WWW:
    tvr> http://emacspeak.sf.net/raman/ AIM: emacspeak GTalk:
    tvr> address@hidden PGP:
    tvr> http://emacspeak.sf.net/raman/raman-almaden.asc Google:
    tvr> tv+raman IRC: irc://irc.freenode.net/#emacs
    tvr>
    tvr>