Re: subtle problem of font-lock in *compilation* buffer

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: subtle problem of font-lock in *compilation* buffer
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 15:24:26 -0400

    On further consideration, it's impossible to handle this perfectly:
    consider compiling a file named "foo -version-info 1", which gives
    rise to the error message

    foo -version-info 1:0: blah blah

In the absence of a robust quoting convention for file names in error
messages, there will always be the possibility of confusion for
certain file names that contain unusual file names.

Our priority is to parse the messages correctly in the case of
sensible file names.  If this means that some bizarre file names will
cause trouble, too bad -- we recommend that people rename those files.

Would you like to fix Compilation mode to highlight these messages
properly in the normal case?