Re: Emacs (cvs) hangs on startup on remote X server (UTF8, xfs)

From: Peter Whaite
Subject: Re: Emacs (cvs) hangs on startup on remote X server (UTF8, xfs)
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 17:02:16 -0400

Jan Djärv <address@hidden> wrote:
> Peter Whaite skrev:
> > Here's the setup.  I have two machines: one running a GNU/Linux Fedora
> > FC5 system, and another running W2K with an "oldish" commercial X-win32
> > server.  Ping times between the two systems are sub millisecond.
> >
> > When I start 'emacs -Q' on the GNU/Linux box with DISPLAY=:0.0 the emacs
> > window appears without delay.
> >
> > However when I start 'emacs -Q' on the GNU/Linux box with
> > DISPLAY=192.168.0.3:0.0 (the W2k box) it hangs. No emacs window appears
> > until I generate an X event on the X-win32-5.3 server, e.g. by moving the
> > mouse, pressing the ctrl key, etc.
> >
> > It doesn't hang all the time, maybe because there are sometimes
> > pending xevents in the queue?
> >
> > It never happens if another emacs is already running.
>
> It sounds like a bug in your w32 server.  Does this happen only with
> Emacs or can you see it with any other X client, like xterm?

Just emacs.

> Can you first start an xterm on GNU/Linux and then Emacs?  Does it
> happen then?

Yes.

> It sounds like your w32 server doesn't flush the out queue of the
> first remote client properly.

It has to do with me switching over to LANG=en_CA.UTF-8, and that the
iso10646 fonts are being served by xfs on the GNU/Linux box.  From an
xterm (client on GNU/Linux, either Xserver, tripe is the w32 host)

   DISPLAY=tripe:0.0 LANG=en_CA emacs -Q         # No problem
   DISPLAY=tripe:0.0 LANG=en_CA.UTF-8 emacs -Q   # Hangs

Or if I take the xfs off the w32 X server's font list then

   DISPLAY=tripe:0.0 LANG=en_CA.UTF-8 emacs -Q   # No problem

I am using 'emacs*font: fixed' for my .Xdefaults.

--
Peter Whaite