Re: Patch for remote files in dnd.el

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: Patch for remote files in dnd.el
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2006 14:06:54 +0200

David Kastrup skrev:
Jan Djärv <address@hidden> writes:

I think we should install this.  On GNU/Linux neither Nautilus or
Konqueror (file browsers for Gnome and KDE) puts the host name in
files dropped.  So there is basically no way a user can drop remote
files onto Emacs in GNU/Linux.  On W32 this restors the old
behaviour of Emacs 21 AFAIK, so it is not a new feature.

Actually I take some of that back. You can browse ftp:// and nfs:// in nautilus, it wasn't in the documentation.

I think we should generally have this transform the stuff properly,
independent of platform.

I am not sure that would work for w32. For Samba shares, the URL becomes smb://host/... But in W32, I think it is in the UNC-format (\\host\...). The UNC format just works on those machines, but the smb:// URL:s are not supported by tramp on W32.

Can't we just generally use the same mechanism as for `browse-url' for
files dropped into Emacs?

If dnd-protocol-alist does not match the URL and if browse-url-browser-function is a list of handlers, then those handlers are tried.

We could also enable url-handler-mode and match against url-handler-regexp. If that matches, a normal find-file should work.

        Jan D.