Re: gdba problems with C++ code

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: gdba problems with C++ code
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2006 00:36:33 +0200 (CEST)

>  > Creating a watch expression shows me
>  >
>  >   +trap_bol_stack  int_stack
>  >
>  > (where the `+' sign stands for the small icon) in a separate speedbar
>  > frame, as expected.  But clicking on that with mouse-2 gives nothing.
>
> If int_stack is just a structure or union it should work.
> Or is it a data type that is special to C++?

It's a class, with a single variable and some functions.

> If it has only one element it should look something like:
>
>    [-] trap_bol_stack int_stack
>     [+] top             top_type
>
> depending on the data type of top.

This doesn't happen.  Clicking on [+] left of `trap_bol_stack' does nothing.

> What operating system are you using?  What is the exact version of GDB are you
> using? e.g on FC5 I get:
>
>   GNU gdb Red Hat Linux (6.3.0.0-1.122rh)

I told you the exact version.  It's plain 6.3.

>  > This makes gdba completely useless for me.
>
> That may be so if all you do when debugging is watch the values of
> complex data types.  Most other people do many other things.

Well, there aren't any line breaks in the output of, say, `p
trap_bol_stack' if typed in manually due to the -annotate argument!
Getting an overview of a class is thus really difficult.

> As it says in the manual (it would be a good idea to read it, if you
> haven't) and the file header for gdb-ui.el, watch expressions work
> best with GDB 6.4 onwards.

Hmm, the manual doesn't say that explicitly.  It just talks about some
features available in version 6.4 and later.  Perhaps this can be
emphasized.

> With 6.3 and more complex structures it may be just that you're not
> waiting long enough.  Current GDB is 6.5, it might help to update to that.

Meanwhile I've done that (compiling the 6.5 tarball by myself), and it
changes nothing.  Neither structures nor classes get displayed.

    Werner