Re: cua-mode and the tutorial

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: cua-mode and the tutorial
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 13:18:40 -0400

    >     1) Remove all non-default key bindings in the tutorial. I used that
    >     approach from the beginning so I have code for that.
    >
    > I don't like the approach of having the tutorial teach standard
    > bindings in an Emacs where they won't work.

    I can see four main possibilities:

    1) Like above, but you do not like that option

It is not a very useful thing to do.  Anyway, the user can turn off
the nonstandard bindings and run the tutorial, by running `emacs -q'.

    2) Keep the nonstandard bindings and tell the user about it. This can be
    done the way Kim suggested (a small yellow screen with a details link).
    The changed bindings can be marked in the tutorial text or they can be
    marked and replaced.

There is nothing inherently bad about offering this possibility is no
harm in itself.  But people pointed out various inconveniences of the
attempt to do it.

    3) A combination of 1 and 2. Let the user decide. (This is perhaps a bit
    complicated for a tutorial.)

My response is a combination of the two responses above.

    4) Stop the user from running the tutorial. I do not like this option.

If practical inconveniences makes #2 a bad idea, #4 is what we are
left with.